HDB’s Proximity Housing Grant (PHG) was first introduced in August 2015, and since then, about $211 million worth of grant money has been disbursed to 11,000 families. The vast majority of applicants (we’re talking 93%!) are children who have purchased resale flats to live closer to their parents, with the remaining 7% being parents who have bought resale flats to live near their children.
If you’re thinking of tapping into the PHG, here’s what you need to know:
All Singaporeans are eligible to receive the PHG once, regardless of household income, ownership of private property, and whether they have enjoyed housing subsidies before. If you’re a private property owner, do note that you’ll need to dispose of their private properties within six months of the resale flat purchase.
Plus, Singaporeans can now enjoy larger grant amounts with the latest revision announced in the 2018 budget. Previously, families would get $20,000 in grant money if they bought a resale flat to live near or with their parents, and singles would receive $10,000 if they bought a resale flat to live with their families. Under the new scheme, families who purchase a flat to live with their families will receive $30,000 instead of $20,000, and singles who do the same will receive $15,000 instead of $10,000.
At the same time, singles who buy a resale flat near their parents are now also eligible to receive $10,000 worth of PHG grants. Last but not least, the definition of “near” has been expanded from 2km to 4km.
Thinking of utilizing that grant, and staying near your parents? Here’s a handy round-up of resale flats from the various mature estates in Singapore:
- 3 room flat at 139A Lorong 1A Toa Payoh
- 4 room flat at 202 Toa Payoh North
- 5 room flat at 36 Lorong 5 Toa Payoh
Ang Mo Kio
- 3 room flat at 129 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3
- 4 room flat at 346 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3
- 5 room flat at 306 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1
- 3 room flat at 426 Bedok North Road
- 4 room flat at 428 Bedok North Road
- 5 room flat at 21 Bedok South Road
- 3 room flat at 193 Bishan Street 13
- 4 room flat at 114 Bishan Street 12
- 5 room flat at 165 Bishan Street 13
- 3 room flat at 115 Bukit Merah Central
- 5 room flat at 116 Bukit Merah Central
- 5 room flat at 115 Bukit Merah Central
- 3 room flat at 363 Clementi Avenue 2
- 4 room flat at 365 Clementi Avenue 2
- 5 room flat at 355 Clementi Avenue 2
- 3 room flat at 16 Upper Boon Keng Road
- 4 room flat at 3D Upper Boon Keng Road
- 5 room flat at 39 Upper Boon Keng Road
- 3 room flat at 129 Pasir Ris Street 11
- 4 room flat at 530B Pasir Ris Drive 1
- 5 room flat at 557 Pasir Ris Street 51
- 3 room flat at 28 Hoy Fatt Road
- 4 room flat at 160 Mei Ling Street
- 5 room flat at 8 Jalan Rumah Tinggi
- 3 room flat at 306 Serangoon Avenue 2
- 4 room flat at 329 Serangoon Avenue 3
- 5 room flat at 401 Serangoon Avenue 1
- 3 room flat at 144 Tampines Street 12
- 4 room flat at 503 Tampines Central 1
- 5 room flat at 257 Tampines Street 21
Continue to search for the home of your dreams at 99.co!
If you found this article helpful, 99.co recommends How does Singapore Budget 2018 affect property buyers in Singapore? and Budget 2018: Boost to Proximity Housing Grant, Buyer’s Stamp Duty up
Find the home of your dreams today at 99.co!